Elm Springs was built by two brothers as a gift for their only sister in 1837. Named for the many elm trees and springs located on the property, this gift stands today despite almost being destroyed during the War Between the States and from neglect in the early twentieth century.
The home was purchased by the Sons of Confederate Veterans since 1992 and has served as the organization’s international headquarters since. A new multi-million dollar museum was recently built on the property. This new building not only houses the National Confederate Museum, but also the offices of the headquarters, allowing the house to return to being a true historic site, open for tours and rentals.